Clique aqui para ler este post em Português
Imaging moments is something I like to do when I’m traveling. I like to imagine the different times of the earth and the place I’m walking in. It’s crazy to think that the very same place I was posing for pictures was covered by lava and fire, destruction and creation. Very likely people were in panic trying to save their lives. We are blessed to live in a time that we can predict this type of situation. I invite you to close your eyes and think about the past of the places you are visiting. It makes everything even more interesting. Continue reading “Iceland – Welcome to Hell: Krafla, Viti and Hverir”
Clique aqui para ler este post em Português.
We were so lucky on this trip. In moments when the dry weather did not make any difference, it was raining, and the moments that we needed to spend more time in the open the weather was dry and sunny. When we arrived at the Reynisfjara beach the day was amazing. The sun changed colors and made everything brighter and happier.
Continue reading “Iceland -Reynisfjara, the black sand beach”
Clique aqui para ler o post em Português
Attraction value: be lucky and freeze at night waiting for it. (It’s worth it)
You can check the aurora forecast on this site Icelandic Met Office. Here is a brief explanation:
- The white areas of the maps are the clear sky areas. It means that it is a good place to see the aurora. The hard green means High clouds so it will be hard to see it.
- On the bottom, you have the forecast for the actual day and the next two days and hours.You can choose a different day or hour. The map changes according to your selections.
- The aurora forecast is found on the right corner of the page. It has a rating of between 0 and 9.
- Try not to stay in big cities/towns. The building lights will reflect the sky and fade the northern lights. We saw it in Borgarhöfn (accommodation: Lækjarhus Farm Holidays) and Myvatn Lake (accommodation: Vogafjós Guesthouse). Both accommodations were good for seeing the northern lights.
Main tips for taking aurora pictures:
Continue reading “Iceland – Tips to see and take pictures of the Northern Lights”
- Attraction value: face the cold of the glacier (free)
- Parking: Free
At some point of the trip, we saw something blue on the horizon. It was very hard to identify what was the blue point between the dark rocks and mountains. It was not the sea or the sky. It was a GLACIER!
Continue reading “Iceland -Glacier – It’s cold outside, baby”
Post em Português.
Do you remember the breaking news or were you affected by the volcano eruption in 2010? It suspended the air traffic in 20 European countries and affected 10 million passengers. If you are not one of those 10 million, like me, you might be thinking that this eruption was intense. But it was not the first time that an eruption of the Icelandic Volcanos Europe: Continue reading “Iceland – Earth is alive – Eyjafjallajökull and Laki Volcano”
Clique aqui para ler em Português
- Attraction value: Investing in some waterproof clothes to get there (free)
- Parking: free
Continue reading “Iceland – Gullfoss, the power of nature”
Clique aqui para ler o post em Portugues.
- Attraction value: 22.79 euros // 2.800 ISK
- Parking Free
Blue Lagoon is far the most famous hot spring in Iceland but the country has many other places to enjoy the geothermal waters. And I need, to be honest, here I think I liked the Secret Lagoon better.
The Secret Lagoon waters are much hotter than the Blue Lagoon ones and it was very relaxing there. The Secret Lagoon water is clear while the Blue Lagoon one is white and has silica in it. I did not wet my hair there but I don’t think that it would be damaged anyway – I was traumatized after the Blue Lagoon experience.
The only negative point to the Secret lagoon is that it has some big stones under the water which you can’t see during the night. I banged my knee several times. On the other hand, they can be used as seats 😉
Be aware – Two of our group were not feeling well after the Secret Lagoon experience. The water is very hot and the blood pressure can go down dramatically.